Tuesday, August 18, 2009

Mom's terrycloth half apron


I have one of my mom’s aprons made of terrycloth in a green and white checkerboard pattern (a really cool pattern that alternates a flat weave with terrycloth squares). The colors are woven and not surface-dyed. Can I find anything at all similar to that old fabric? I’m not even coming close.

My search was prompted by the request of a woman asking if I would make a terrycloth half apron using a bright, exciting pattern. I love custom orders and jumped on the project. So far all I can find in yardage is solid colors and one French terry with blue stripes/banding, which to me is not exciting and not the type of terry I know and love.

I’m beginning to wonder if my mom’s apron was made from a towel. It makes sense when one thinks of the whole apron history of women making their own, using fabric that would be on hand. (Though I seriously doubt my mom made this one, she was not a sewing mom.) So I will search stores for interesting towels. My hope is to find a good quality cotton towel with the pattern and colors woven instead of surface dyed. So many of the good cotton towels are made of thick terrycloth, which won’t translate well into an apron.

It looks like I am beginning a quest to find the right terry for her apron. I like quests.

Wish me luck.

2 comments:

Brisanapage said...

I believe that that was a table cloth back in the day...I will peruse my vintage fabric for a similar look....I love a quest 2....Wonderful creating to ya...Always check in if ya need assistance....Networking is the bomb in vintage creations!
Mary of Brisanapage on Bonanzle

Yo Momma's Apron Strings said...

Mary, I haven't been very good at keeping up and maintaining my blog. I appreciate your posting. My guess is that you know my sister, Jill, since you sell on Bonanzle.
I never managed to find a decent terry. I did buy some toweling but it doesn't do it for me. I like your idea of the possibility of the apron having been made from an old tablecloth. I'll look into that one.
In the meantime, I am getting into the swing of my blog and find I enjoy the writing. I believe I will be posting more frequently now that I am having a good time with the process.