Monday, August 23, 2010

R.I.P. Bernina. Welcome, Singer.

I hauled two of my dysfunctional sewing machines to Joy Trott; one my beloved but definitely handicapped Bernina and an older and quite annoying White, to see if anything could be done to keep them operable.

The verdict: yes on one and no on the other. The White works all right but lacks the muscle for what I need. This one I am passing on to my non-sewing daughter to use until she figures out if she eventually will become a sewing daughter - good for light work but don't ask too much of it because it won't carry the load.

The No Decree goes to Bernina (sob) - it's not going to sew for me any longer and I'll donate it to Joy to use as a parts machine, should she ever see another of that age that might need a piece or two.

When I made the decision not to pour anymore money into the Bernina, Joy came to my rescue once again by allowing me to take home different sewing machines until I could find the one that is good enough to pick up where my Bernina left off. Luckily, this took just two attempts. I knew as soon as I threaded up the first one, a very cool looking retro Dressmaker, it was not THE one. Ugh. The second and what came to be the last one, is that Singer I saw weeks ago. Joy allowed me to bring it home, I set it up on blocks so the rocker arm wouldn't hit the desktop I use to sew on, threaded the machine and sewed away. Ahhh, success! This baby will plow through the doubled and tripled seams without a hiccup.

Today I returned to Joy's to pick up the sewing table that goes with the machine. My next step: move my current sewing desk somewhere (!?), rewire the Singer to its original sewing table and get sewing.

A side note: I was able to look up the Model Number on my Singer and found out it was made in1947! How cool is that? I'm in love.

1 comment:

Casco Bay Soap Co. said...

that's cool. 1947 and your sewing away on it in 2010? love it!
:)
Shannon