Monday, February 8, 2010

Lovely, but missing vital body parts

I 've arrived at the unfortunate fact that the top half of this beautiful female mannequin definitely doesn't work on the bottom half of the handsome male of the same species. I had great hopes for her but the combination of her twisted body angle and narrow waist make for an oddly proportioned figure.

I spent part of the morning devising a photographic backdrop to use when she wears my aprons - sewing seams, inserting dowels, creating a hanging system - and when I arrived at the point where I joined the two disparate parts to take test photos, I quickly realized my blending of the sexes wasn't going to work. The aprons hang badly, the male hips jut out from the female hips creating a shelf that, combined with the upper torso skewing, makes her look terribly deformed.

The search begins for a suitable female mannequin. I'll settle for just the bottom half and hope that with a set of proper fitting hips, the twisted upper body won't be so glaringly wrong but I think a whole figure will ultimately be the answer.

Anyone out there have a lead?

No comments: